CDs & the Unconscious (Part 1)


 

THAT PESKY UNCONSCIOUS –
it’s been running my life & I didn’t even know it!

PREVIOUS: INFO & the BRAIN (Part 4)

Changing our thinking patterns is a continuous, sometimes frustrating process. The more we understand how our brain & the process of change works, & what to expect, the more hope & patience we can have!

1. THINKING
Thoughts, in general, are latent but measurable forms of electromagnetic energy – an important natural activity WE produce!  Changes in thoughts change our biochemistry, hormones & brainwave patterns which vibrate at different rates of oscillation, spreading out from the body like pond ripples. The speed & distance they travel depends on the frequency that generated them, so the way we think definitely has an effect on our environment

Negative Thinking (CDs) assumes only difficulties and failure in life. negative thoughtsIt make us feel bad & decrease brain function, creating the same physical responses (rapid heart beat, rise in blood pressure, hand tremors & flushing of the face, cold sweats, stomach knots, shallow breathing, light-headedness & muscle weakness….) as any actual experience which would trigger anger or fear in us

Thoughts are stored:
i. EITHER by mechanical repetition (like hours of reciting multiplication tables, practicing musical scales, rote prayers….)
ii. OR by pairing a thought or experience with an intense emotion.
✓ Think of your very earliest memory. Whether it was a pleasant event or not, it was likely anchored in your mind by a strong feeling!
✓ We also know that if the emotions connected to an event are too intense (painful), the whole thing will be repressed, especially if the distress is long-term or particularly traumatic – like throughout most of our childhood, or an abusive marriage, a long illness….

• Any thought that is often repeated become so automatic that we don’t even notice it & then it becomes unconscious – ie. out of awareness. That part of the mind is like Google. It’s a record of our life which includes emotions & events of all our experiences: losses, disappointments, habits, traumas, successes, delights, joys, pleasures…. & a collection of ‘beliefs and perceptions’.  It’s all there.

EXP: For most of your youth you were neglected at home & bullied at school, with no one to protect or defend you.  Now, every time you contemplate going to any kind of group – no matter how innocuous, like  in a religious setting – you have palpitations. You think it’s only because you’re shy, rather than from subconscious CDs like Over-generalizing, Disqualifying the Positive, Unrealistic Comparisons, Projection…. formed by early experiences

The CONSCIOUS mind is abstract, creative & aware, is about such things as reading & thinking about what is heard, seen or written, what is intelligent & purposeful (having choice).  It doesn’t know what’s in the unconscious & doesn’t want to even acknowledge it’s existence because it’s so ‘simple & concrete’.  In spite of that ‘prejudice’, our conscious part only has about 15% control over the making of experiences, while the subconscious is in charge of the other 85%, as the result of conditioning!

subconsciousThe UNCONSCIOUS mind is ‘just’ the result of patterning, conditioning, and habit – therefore it’s basic, very black & white, not thinking, intelligent or creative, totally literal & has no sense of humor! From birth it absorbs info & experience without discernment.  So our formative years provide the basis for all other learning, as the mind filters out inconsistencies.

BTW – ‘Unconscious’ describes a general state where information we’ve gathered is not available to us just by wanting to reach for it, & can only be retrieved by special techniques or triggering events.
Subconscious’ is used to identify unconscious thoughts or experiences when they drive our reactions & behavior, without realizing it, like: seeing food suddenly makes us hungry, or a deep-seated – untreated & hidden – childhood trauma will distort our ability to make safe, rational decisions

• According to the Cognitive Therapy model, distortions in information processing will result in anxiety symptoms such as: hyper-vigilance, false alarms, loss of objectivity, catastrophizing, excessive focus on negative outcomes, no tolerance for uncertainty and ‘lack of habituation’ (not desensitized to a stressor even with repeated exposure).

• This is something ACoAs are very familiar with, who grew up in emotionally tense & physically dangerous environments, both at home & out side. Unfortunately we were not ably to successfully use fight or flight, except indirectly.
— The fight reaction would have been with siblings, neighborhood kids, school peers, hurting animals or possessions, & sometimes self-harm
— The flight side was a more common option for most of us.  As long as we were too small to leave home we escaped into books, friends, school work, sports & of course into fantasy. And for some – attempted suicide.

NEXT: CDs & the UNCONSCIOUS (Part 2)

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “CDs & the Unconscious (Part 1)

  1. What a powerful post! This post helps me give myself a break. It almost makes me want to cry because I’m very hard on myself (kids) for not changing faster. And it will give me hope and patience if I can remember these two things:

    …our conscious part only has about 15% control over the making of experiences, while the subconscious is in charge of the other 85%, as the result of conditioning!

    • The UNCONSCIOUS mind is ‘just’ the result of patterning, conditioning, and habit – therefore it’s basic, very black & white, not thinking, intelligent or creative, totally literal & has no sense of humor! From birth it absorbs info & experience without discernment. So our formative years provide the basis for all other learning, as the mind filters out inconsistencies.

  2. Yes, the aim of any good therapy is to bring into consciousness painful & harmful thoughts, experiences & emotions hiding down below – so we have the choice to deal with them – allowing them to dissipate.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s