Who me? Really?
PREVIOUS: Healthy RULES – #3
SITE: (UN) What are Human Rights?
• No matter how long ACoAs are in Recovery, it is always good to be reminded of what we have a right to be and have, as human beings – since we were originally brainwashed by family to not even know what our needs are, much less have a right to fulfill them.
We must provide for our needs as much as possible, both from ourselves and with the help of appropriate others, as a prerequisite to:
• having boundaries • being empowered
• eliminating deprivation • not being manipulated
• preventing abuse • feeling good about ourselves
• minimizing anger & resentment • enjoying our life
• Fill out these 2 questionnaires, the best you can (Part 2 next post). If you get stuck, ask someone who knows you well, AND who is respectful, which ones they think you express in your daily life. See what you think
• Take them again once a year (maybe on your B/day or at the New Year), to clock your recovery progress
• Take the “nos” as goal to work toward, but NOT as things to beat yourself up about!
• Pick a different one each week or month to focus on. Start with the “SOME” column, since that will be easier. At the end of each week / month, evaluate if & how you applied it, or at least increased your awareness about the Right
• Eventually many of these rights will become second nature & you will feel safer & stronger